It was great to see so many of you at the indoor track meeting and the first few practices this week. This first email is sort of a test email to see how well I could decipher your handwriting. Hopefully most of the emails are correct. The indoor information is attached to this email, and there are a few things additional things I would like you to be aware of . . .
1. Come and Play - There is a large group of you who came to the indoor track meeting, put your name on the roster, showed some excitement, but then didn't show up to practice on Wednesday or Thursday. Monday is a fresh start!! If you missed this week, commit to coming all 4 days next week to get a feel for what indoor track is like before the winter break. Practices typically last from 2:45 to 4:30 - we are meeting each day in the cafeteria. NO FEAR!!
You are only going to know how much you like it and how good you might be if you give it an honest try. Commit to it, and then don't be afraid to come and do your best. You will probably surprise yourself with how much you improve and how much you like it. Sure, it's hard work, but that's the way you really want it! If it were easy, it would be called video games, and it would not bring the same satisfaction, pride, and accomplishment. A few words of advice: 1) Don't compare yourself to others - show up and focus on your best! 2) Be patient with your improvement - give yourself time to learn and get in your best shape. 3) Challenge yourself - set goals, push your limits, enjoy the burn! 4) Be outgoing!!! Make friends, talk to others, flirt, and get to know your teammates
2. Parent's Emails - If any of your parents would like to receive my weekly emails for now and through outdoor track, please send me their email addresses. Thanks!
3. Indoor Track Blog - We have an official Davis Indoor track web site - www.davisindoortrack.blogspot.com - It has the track meet schedule, last year's performance lists, the all-time lists, and a few other cool links. I will also post the weekly updates on the blog.
4. Take care of your health - If you want to work really hard and improve to your potential, it is very important for you to take care of your body. We will be giving more information to help educate you - but here are the basics: Eat well and Eat enough (plenty of carbs, protein, iron, and even good fats); Stay Hydrated with water and electrolytes (gatorade) - carry a water bottle; Take the Warm up Seriously and do your best to do it Properly; Spend extra time stretching and doing core work; and listen to your body - you may need to back off at times. We want to keep you all healthy, energetic, and injury free.
5. Social Media - For those interested, we have a Twitter account (@davistrackandxc) and we have a Facebook page. You should follow/join.
Thanks once again - we are really looking forward to an awesome indoor season and one of our best outdoor seasons ever.
Enjoy the Journey! Challenge yourselves, make friends, get out of your comfort zone, and be passionate and committed.
- Coach Talley