Sunday, January 10, 2010

Indoor Track Update - Jan 10

Darts -
After a month of training and preparing, our first indoor track meet is finally coming up. I am excited to see some of your progress from the last year, but for most of you, I am just excited and anxious to get a starting point that we can work on. Great job to those of you who have been committed and have worked hard over the past month. After watching you work out and after going to the USU clinics this past weekend with 35 of you, I was thinking about how anyone can make improvements and can become good track athletes through hard work and commitment. I was already starting to see some surprises up at the USU camps and in practice this past week. I hope that after the BYU Invite this coming weekend that we can continue to come together as a team and that each of you will set some goals and then be determined to do all you can to accomplish your goals.
I know I make a point of it with each email I send out, but it is still not too late for those of you who have not been training with us to start. The next 6 weeks will help you get ready for outdoor track, and the indoor meets can be a lot of fun. Let me or Coach West know if you have concerns that we might be able to answer.

Our indoor meet schedule is as follows:

BYU Invite (Jan 15-16)
- I will be handing out information on Monday and Tuesday that you will need if you want to compete at BYU this weekend. You will need to return the form to me with $4 per event that you plan on competing in. I will then sign you up on runnercard.com. Everyone has to be pre-registered for this meet, and I will need the form back by Thursday at the latest. The field events will be on Friday beginning at 5:00pm - we will leave to go down there right after school. The events will include the high jump, long jump, pole vault, and shot put. On Saturday we will have a bus. We will meet at the school at 6:45am because the first race is at 9:00am and we want to give plenty of time to get warmed up. Saturday's events will include the mile, 60m hudles, 60m dash, 400m, 800m, 200m, 2 mile, and the 4 x 1 lap relay. You can go down and back on the bus, or you can go down on your own or with your parents.

WSU Invite (Jan 22-23) - The field events will again be held on Friday and the track events on Saturday. We do not need to pre-register, but I would like to know what you plan on running before we go up to the meet. I will hand out meet information on the Weber meet next week.

Olympic Oval/Utah State Indoor Championships (Feb 5-6) - This is my favorite indoor track - we will be competing at the Olympic Oval in Kearns. It is the only indoor track meet that is scored for teams. Our boys have won 6+ years in a row. And the girls have won 5 of the past 6 years. We will again be trying for the championships on both sides. I will hand out more information closer to the meet.

Simplot Games (Feb 18-20) - We would like to take close to 70 athletes to the Simplot Games in Pocatello, ID this year. It will be the most we have ever taken and it will make us the biggest TEAM up there once again. But, it also means we will have to leave some of the TEAM at home. Coach West and I will be looking at commitment, performance, attendance, and seniority as we form a list of who we will be inviting to the meet. The cost will be $100 which will cover hotel costs, gas, and meet entry. We will need some help with parents to drive up to the meet and to pick us up on Saturday afternoon. Simlot is the highlight of our indoor season. It is a great experience and gives you the chance to compete against and watch some of the best in the nation.

Emails - I will be sending out emails all season long (indoor and outdoor). I will eventually take you off of my email list if you are not coming to practice. If you want me to remove you before then, please let me know. I will also be adding parents to our email list. Let me know if your parents would like to receive the emails. The information will also be posted on www.davisindoortrack.blogspot.com

Thanks for your dedication to the program. Each of you brings something different. I encourage you to contribute to our TEAM by deciding to give your all in practice and in meets. Even if you are not scoring points, you are still a valuable asset to me and Coach West. We love being a part of your improvement.
Please let us know if there are things we can do to help you.
Thanks
Coach Talley
ctalley@dsdmail.net

No comments: