Monday, January 14, 2013

Indoor Track Update - January 14

Darts - 
I want to thank each of you for your patience, support, and commitment as I was trying to figure out what to do with the Utah State Invitational last Saturday. While I regret that we weren't able to compete in our first track meet last weekend, it is a regret I can live with. If anything would have happened to any of you while traveling up to the meet, I don't think I could live with that regret. I'm also sorry that my emails were not getting to everyone and that some of you may have been left in the dark with regards to the plans. It was great to see that so many of you were here at the school on Saturday morning, ready to compete and ready to have fun. I was even glad to see the disappointment that some of you felt because we weren't going to compete. We would have completely dominated the meet, but we will just have to show that TEAM strength this week at the Weber State Invite (field events on Friday) and the BYU Invite (track events on Saturday). Missing one of our few opportunities to compete during the indoor season makes it so much more important to take full advantage of the track meet this weekend. I hope that you are all "hungry" and extra motivated to perform your best this weekend. 
We did have one athlete compete at Utah State. Ben Bracken finished 1st in both the shot put (49') and the weight throw (48'). 

Weber State Invitational - Friday, January 18th - All of the field event athletes will be going up to the Weber State Invite on Friday. We will not be taking a bus. The meet is in the Swenson Gym at Weber State. I have attached the paper with the schedule and more information about the meet. If any field event athletes would rather go down to the BYU Invite on their own, look at the BYU Invite information/schedule and make sure to let me know that you are going down to BYU. 

BYU Invitational - Saturday, January 19th - All of the track events will be going down to the BYU Invite on Saturday. We will meet at the school at 6:45am, and we will be taking one bus down to the meet. Some people will need to find their own transportation (preferably with parents). I have attached the information about the BYU Invite. I need to pre-register everyone for BYU, so please have the paper back to me no later than Thursday's practice. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Simplot Games - I will have an invite list for the Simplot Games next week on Monday or Tuesday. If you are unable to compete at the BYU Invite this weekend, but you still want to be considered for Simplot, please let me know in person or through an email. The Simplot Games is the meet in Pocatello, ID on February 14-16. The cost will be $130 and we will be staying up there as a team on Thursday and Friday nights. I will hand out and email out more information about it next week. 

I have also attached the workouts for this week. We will be meeting on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday in the cafeteria. 

If any of you are looking to buy some new track spikes for this year, now is a good time to shop. Striders in Layton has a good selection of spikes for both distance runners and sprinters. You can also look online - I suggest www.eastbay.com because they have some great deals. Let me know if you have questions about what kind of spikes you should get. For the most part, it will tell you on the web site the distances or the events the shoes are used for. 

Despite missing the meet, I am still very excited about where we are as a TEAM. I feel like we have had a very strong start, and I like what I have seen in the workouts. I can't wait to see you all tear it up this weekend. 
Thanks, 
Coach Talley

No comments: